Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Well, I finally did it. I have made the leap into the information age as of today September 1, 2009. I am officially a Blogger! It is a good day for me to start something new as today is my birthday! Today I start a new hobby. Well, writing for me is an old hobby, but now I start sharing it with YOU cher public! Over the years I have been asked by family, friends, and fans to come up with a way to inform them of my journeys, performances, and many stories that I have while I am on the road. I have been in the process of a website and blog for nearly four years. I have hesitated too long for too many reasons. One reason is that there are many good blogs out there written by really good writers and there are also many good blogs out there written by really good opera singer writers. I have felt that I wouldn’t have much to add to the conglomeration of information that is out there on travel and on singing and on, well you name it. Then not too long ago, it dawned on me that I had some stories and things to share that just might be important to that special someone out there. It could be my aunt or cousin or my long time friend from High School. Regardless, I decided it was worth it because I love this life and love what I do and want to share my stories in the hope that it might make you smile or curious or it may even help you in some way. I am only a writer in the sense that I have written in a journal nearly every day for at least fifteen years. I write for my personal pleasure and to remember. However, I must be honest. There is a fear that my freshman English teacher will read this and cringe. (Hopefully you will not, Dr. Cass!)
This blog is entitled, “How Can I Keep from Singing?” This title comes from a hymn written by Robert Wadsworth Lowry. I sang the soprano solo in an arrangement of this hymn when I was a senior at Mercer University with the Mercer Singers. It has been a huge part of my life ever since. It reminds me that whether it is a triumph or tragedy, music helps us express that which is often difficult. This is why I sing and why I have dedicated my life to music. I’ll be sharing with you in this blog my stories and snippets from my life. It is an amazing life. How can I keep from singing?

My life flows on in endless song:
Above earth's lamentation,
I hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Above the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?

When tyrants tremble, sick with fear
And hear their death-knell ringing
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?

In prison cell and dungeon vile
Our thoughts to them go winging
When friends by shame are undefiled
How can I keep from singing?
And while the tempest loudly roars
I hear the truth, it liveth
And though the darkness round me close
Songs in the night it giveth.

No Storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that rock I'm clinging
Since LOVE is Lord of Heaven and Earth,
How Can I Keep from Singing?

No comments: